Saturday, June 13, 2009

the 1st year teacher SURVIVED!

Pre-Christmas break I had "those days" where I would reflect upon my well-thought out decision to become a middle school English teacher and question my sanity and emotional stability. Mostly these reflections ended with "What was I thinking?" and "Am I cut out for this job?" or "Are these kids learning anything?" Back in "those days", the end of the year seemed so far away. I knew it would come eventually; I also knew I was going to get to them, or they were going to get to me. Unfortunately for my students, they have no idea how stubborn I can be. Stubbornness fused with a fierce competitive bone and a love for education is a dangerous combination for a 7th grader who doesn't want to try. I am not a quitter, so giving up was never an option even though I had already figured out the that my hard-learned wisdom would not be fully applicable until my 2nd year with a fresh batch of students. Still, I refused to give up on this years students. Some time around spring break, I think I wore them out and the year ended with my white bored completely covered in 7th grade ebonics lingo about how they loved this class and they would miss me. Some of them even promised they would keep reading! I realize some of them just wanted to write on the bored, but some of those were honest confessions of students I saw specific growth in this year. I think I am actually going to miss them.

I will never again have first-year students and I should thank them for testing me to the MAX to see if I am fit to teach. I have realized how much I love teaching despite the difficulties and demands. I am looking forward to returning next year to a brand new year although I gladly turned down teaching summer school and embraced the summer break!

Here are a few pictures of the kids I truly came to LOVE. (Each class is missing the last-day-of-school skippers but you get to see most of my kids.)





























I was the sponsor for the Step Club and these girls were the heart of soul of it all! They even taught me to step : )

No comments: