Thursday, August 12, 2010

Words

I’ve decided that I would want to have a blog, even if no one ever read it. Something powerful ignites within my spirit when I put my thoughts to words and words to paper (or screen). Reflection and prayer come alive when I see my thoughts before me, reread what I have written, correct my mistakes, add more colorful adjectives and maybe a few analogies, and then click “publish”. That may be my favorite part. I once read a quote that had something to do with there being no purpose in writing without the intent to publish. I can’t fully agree with this idea for everyone- especially 12 year-old girls who live in fear of having their diary read. For me, the thought of being published excited me. The thought of creating words that would one day be quoted or recited as a rhyme.
But words are far more important than how many people read them.
It is with our words that we form a sentence to praise our Creator who gave us the capability to communicate.
It is with our words that we express our true selves to one another; or our lack of words withheld attempting to hide as if refusing to articulate protects us from facing reality.
It is with our words that we declare what we stand for, and why.
When was the last time you sat and wrote words on purpose for the pure enjoyment of seeing where your recorded journey would take you? May I suggest you try? Just start writing. If you are not sure where to start, begin with a prayer. Perhaps a prayer that has been verbally prayed often. Begin with a promise. Perhaps a promise that seems so familiar it may have lost some of its credibility. Start by writing and respond with your opinion about it, the emotions that are stirred by the thoughts you have written so far, your hopes, your frustrations, your “if onlys”. Write them down and go back and read it.
What have you learned about yourself in this process? Has the Lord shown you anything about yourself or your topic?
I hope so. And finally we pray,
Lord, give us a word.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

No comments: