Monday, December 20, 2010

Hats off to...

Quite often I ponder what my life would be like without Ryan.

If you stop reading after that first line, you may be concerned for our marriage. Worry not; let me explain:
Ryan almost always takes out the trash, often helps me with the dishes, checks the mail, tickles Jack until his one dimple can't sink any deeper and he can't squeal any louder, sometimes surprises me with plans, goes back to the store to get what I forgot, carries the high chair AND tray at Chick-fil-A... the list could go on and on. It's the times when Ryan is unable to help me do these things that I realize how blessed I am. Some people don't have any one to help them at all. Much less a loving, supportive spouse.
Life with Ryan is energetic, fun, and eventful in a good way. Life without my Ryan would be difficult, exhausting, and draining. I love my son dearly to a level I never knew was possible, but there is a reason children should have two parents. After moving to a new state this summer, I have traveled back to Texas a few times for various reasons and mostly by myself with Jack. I have tasted the single parent life and I empathize.

Hats off to single parents.

I applaud you for waking up this morning and starting your day knowing it probably wouldn't be easy. I applaud you for every bit of encouragement you offered your child when you really didn't feel like talking. I applaud you for cooking dinner. I applaud you for squishing the shopping cart into the handicap stall in the Wal-mart bathroom because there was no one else to hold your offspring (yes nature calls single parents in public too).
You are an unsung hero.