Friday, February 27, 2009

water

Back in 2006, I spent a life changing summer in Yosemite National Park (a story for another time) and during that summer I had plenty of time to sit back, take in, and reflect on creation. One afternoon, I walked up to Devils Bathtub and sat down on the left side of the cliff. I think I sat there for over three hours, a time I spent in deep thought over life, purpose, the church, and mostly water. Yes water. Water is amazing to me. It is the blood of creation; without it, life would cease to exist.

In the creation narrative of Genesis we read that the spirit of God hovered over the surface of the waters, and then the waters were tamed - separated. The ancients saw the seas as chaos; therefore, some scholars believe the Jewish creation narrative speaks to the reality of God controlling chaos. *this of course has great implications.


So back to July 2006, there I sat on a perch looking out over the Yosemite Valley, formed by water; drinking water out of my Nalgene; thinking about the essence of water. Sadly, I did not have the presence of mind to connect the importance of water and the Genesis creation narrative to the sacrament of baptism… However, just a few days ago Tertullian helped me out:

The Spirit of God, who hovered over the waters from the beginning, would continue to linger over the waters of the baptized ...All waters, therefore, in virtue of the pristine privilege of their origin, do, after invocation of God, attain the sacramental power of sanctification ...Water was the first to produce that which had life, that it might be no wonder in baptism if waters know how to give life.


So I beg you, when you take a drink of water today, remember the baptism you have received - a baptism that gives life.

No comments: