Sunday, February 8, 2009

Prayer Works

Ryan has been preaching a series about prayer for the last few weeks. Naturally, I have been thinking about prayer a lot. Some of my thoughts have been directly influenced by musings Ryan has shared from the pulpit. Some of my thoughts have come from past experiences and current hopes, and as always, some of my thoughts occur as a result of observation. In my pensive recent weeks, I stumbled across this sign in Waco.Such a simple and true message, yet rusted almost past being recognizable. What a metaphor for the frank reflection of the average prayer attitude! While including others in this statement, I admit this is more of a confession. I want to pray more. Who doesn't? Sometimes I am held back by the mere mystery of what exactly prayer is and how I should pray, especially when I am praying for a person over a long period of time. Does God want me to pray the same thing over and over? Ryan answered this question a few weeks ago with a quote from P.T. Forsyth.
"Love, loves to be told what it knows already... It wants to be asked for what it longs to give."
And this morning Ryan very honestly stated, "I don't know how prayer works, but I know it does work." I couldn't agree more.

No comments: