Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fire, Family, and a Birthday

On Sunday, April 3rd we packed our bag of essentials and prepared to evacuate. A wild fire ignited and, due to an incredibly windy day and drought conditions following a dry winter, rapidly spread through Ruidoso Proper into Ruidoso Downs near the racetrack and on East. Fire fighting and forest services from all over New Mexico have come to aid in relief efforts; we are so thankful for the help and that no human lives have been lost. Please pray for what has been lost: 5 homes, several barns and sheds, over 10,000 acres of land, and sadly one horse. We appreciate the prayers and concerns for our family. Our home and church are safe. From what I have seen Ruidoso is a beautiful town. Yes by scenery, but I mean by people. We heard from people all day Sunday offering help to anyone who may need it. One lady offered her spare bedroom for evacuees as soon as she knew her house was safe. Restaurants donated food to the designated shelter. And prayers were offered for our town literally from all over the country (thanks to communication via facebook).

Sunday was a frazzled day for me. The winds were constantly changing direction so no one knew which direction the fire would blow next. I waited for news all day. Will we need to evacuate? waiting. Will my house still be standing tomorrow? waiting. Should I be loading my car with everything I can get me hands on?  waiting. Am I too worried about "things"? waiting. I know these are all earthly possessions but if I don't use this waiting time to pack what I can, am I a fool?

Frazzled.

Monday, my husband wished me happy birthday and we looked around our home. It's still here. We're still here. Thank God! Let me clarify the God part. We prayed and asked others to pray but I don't think God listened to our prayers any more than he did to those who lost homes/property and more. I know God is here by the beauty of response. The people anxious to help each other, the hospitality offered to the displaced, and the great desire for our community to draw together for relief, aid, and compassion.

I am often confused by prayer, but I believe in the God I pray to. I also believe that more often than not, God answers prayers in ways we cannot expect or imagine. My new prayer for our town is that we would be unified through the fear we all shared on Sunday, unified through the relief most of us feel outside the literal line of fire, unified through compassion for our town folk returning to ashes. In unity, may we see Jesus. In unity, may we help rebuild, not just property but lives.

Ruidoso, we love you. I could not be more thankful for my family, my church, and my town. Realizing what you have and not loosing it, may be the best birthday present of all time. I now begin 26 thankfully aware.

No comments: