Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Don't hurt my Daddy!

An age 8 or 9 year old memory stands out to me as we enter the season of Lent.

Cypress Creek Baptist Church (my church since age 3) had a lot of talented people and it was normal for a play to happen at least once a year. This year, I was in the Easter play. I was one of the children Peter tried to shoo away, but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

But that is not the vivid memory I keep recalling. It was the voice of another child. Our Jesus actor was carrying his cross down the center aisle of the church. Above the sound of the fake whipping, above the sound of the fake shouting of accusations, above the sound of the soloist, was the daughter of our Jesus actor. Her 4-year-old voice pierced the sanctuary that day changing the hearts of every audience member and actor.

“Don’t hurt my Daddy!”

Her frantic voice and tears left everyone in the room weeping. She was lovingly carried outside by her mother, but her significance remained.

This memory brings tears to my eyes even today. How I love people is how I love God. Therefore, when I hurt people, I hurt God.
How often do we choose hurt over love?

I heard of Lent for the first time in 6th grade from my Catholic English teacher. I practiced Lent for the first time in college. I didn’t know until then that I was "allowed to".

Lent is not bound by religion or even by denomination. The purpose of Lent is to prepare our souls for Christ’s resurrection. The practice of Lent is to spend the period of time between Ash Wednesday (today) and Good Friday by removing an element of your usual life or by adding an element to your usual life. For example, many people refrain from eating meat during Lent. Some people add something to their normalcy such as a new daily Bible study. Lent is not about obligation, it is about devotion, awareness, reflection, preparation, and perhaps even growth. By adding or taking away something in our routine, we are constantly reminded of Jesus.

A friend recently stated, “I want to be more heavenly minded.”

Lent is a beautiful time for exactly that. 
May we daily choose Love over Hurt. 
I encourage you to practice Lent in whatever way you feel would draw your soul, mind, and strength heavenward.

No comments: