Monday, May 2, 2011

Reactions and Ben Laden

I woke up this morning to the news of Osama Bin Laden’s death, and before I saw the celebrations at the White House, before I opened Facebook, I found myself with a mix of emotions.

On one hand I feel the weight of President Obama’s words: “Justice has been done.” Throughout history there have been world leaders who have chosen evil, and justice was/is deserved. Moreover, as Christians we feel emboldened in justice oriented actions when atrocities against humanity are great. In Psalm 33:5 we hear: “The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.” To some degree, because God is love, God is also just. In addition, my theology instructs my heart that God gives the power of securing justice in this world to the created. And so, I hear, “Justice has been done” and I feel good about the just results.

On the other hand, in scripture justice is anything but a self-edifying endeavor. The prophet Amos speaks about justice, but his statements on justice are against the nation of Israel. “Let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream”; these words are spoken against his own people because they lacked hospitality and they treated the poor severely. And so, when I hear, “Justice has been done”, I am humbled and forced to check my heart and behaviors – for this is a warning against self-righteousness that would treat others as “less” or “inhuman”.

Of course it was Jesus who leveled the grounds of justice, saying to his followers: “You have heard it said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

Like I said, I find myself in a mix of emotions; I wish to celebrate justice, but I hear the somber call to love. And so, I echo a friend from seminary, Rev. Lory Hunt, whose simple reflection speaks volumes to the work of the Church and the teaching of Jesus…

“Lord, have mercy! Christ, have mercy!”

No comments: