Friday, July 8, 2011

Independence Day Prayer

Notes from the Pastor…

As you read this “Pastor’s Note,” Kristyn and I are on vacation, and Jack is getting spoiled at his grandparents’.  With great affinity, I quote Paul,
“I remember you constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you.”
When I think about Independence Day, I think of fireworks and hot dogs.  Of course, neither of these are American innovations (fireworks are from China, and the hot dog is a descendant of the frankfurter, from Germany).  Then again, my attraction to these imports may be as “American” as apple pie (first recipe cited: 1831 England).

Sociologists say American culture is a salad bowl; different nationalities and traditions placed together to form a delicious infusion of flavor.When I read the New Testament’s statements on Christian unity in John 17:21-24, 1 Corinthians 1:11-13, and Galatians 3:27-29, I am convinced that the founding of America was not the first proclamation of unity within diversity.  Paul is not advocating the end of genders in his letter to the church in Galatia; neither is he citing the abolition of slavery nor the denouncement of nationality.  Rather, Paul preaches that all believers are equal regardless of gender, ethnic background, or class, because all believers are found to be one in Jesus the Christ.

No doubt, such teachings informed the creation of American society, and on a lower and more common level, our earthly citizenship provides us with the opportunity to celebrate unity within diversity.  July 4th proclaims that all people are equal regardless of economics, country of origin, education, or pedigree. Therefore, my Independence Day prayer is that our country will always preach:

      "Give me your tired, your poor,
      Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
      The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
      Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
      I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Grace,
Pastor Ryan

No comments: