Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The spirit that whispers


Notes from the Pastor...

When I was a child there was a natural anticipation that promptly took hold as my father and I embarked on our annual ascent into the dark attic to retrieve the Christmas decorations.  Before the tree was illuminated and before the stockings were set in place, my entire being pulsated;  like the pre-tremors of an earthquake I
could hardly stand the patience necessary in the delayed coming of beautifully wrapped presents.

Biblically speaking, “to wait” is to manifest the kind of trust that is willing to commit oneself to God over the long haul.  It is to continue to believe and expect when all others have given up.  It is to believe that something better is going to happen in God’s time than for it to happen on our initiative and in our time.

In Psalms we hear our call to waiting:

Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord!

[and]

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning,
more than those who watch for the morning.

It is my desire that we adults regain our childish anticipation for Christmas day.  After all, this is the adventure of Advent – it is a season of waiting on the coming of a beautifully unwrapped presence. It is our annual ascent from dark existence into the light of Christ!  It is the pulsating spirit that whispers within our being: “hope”, “peace”, “joy”, and “love”.

Grace,
Pastor Ryan

No comments: